The ejuice can have 2 to 5 ingredients. The number of ingredients varies because of the different tastes of the vapers. What is interesting is that with the few ingredients that make up the ejuice there are so many different varieties made. There are some who would opt for the liquid without one ingredient. Some would go for the liquid with no nicotine. A small change in the ingredients would give a big difference in flavor, thickness of the vapor and what they call “throat hit”.
1. Flavor – can be natural or artificial. This is the life of e-cigarettes. Without this, turning to vaping to give up smoking will not be as successful. There are probably hundreds and thousands of flavors available in the market today. The flavors range from the usual, like the fruit flavors and tobacco flavor. Other flavors are creative concoctions with interesting names as well.
2. Liquid nicotine – strength of this substance can be from 0% to 2.4%. Vapers can choose how much nicotine is in their juice. They can even go without nicotine. Most trustworthy makers of ejuice use approved quality nicotine.
3. Propylene glycol – this is what can be called base of the e liquid. It carries the other ingredients in the juice. Propylene glycol (PG) enhances the throat hit (strength of how the vapor hits the back of the throat, mimicking tobacco’s hit). People who are allergic to propylene glycol prefer the ejuice without it.
4. Vegetable glycerin- this is the other base. This also carries the nicotine and flavor of the juice. Vegetable glycerin produces thicker vapor. The percentage of VG can be adjusted, depending on the vaper’s preference. There are some makers who make liquids with only VG as base. They would only add PG if preferred by the customer. Propylene glycol is synthetic while vegetable glycerin is extracted from plants. This is why there are some who prefer VG more. The usual ratio set by most ejuice makers is 80-20 (PG-VG).
5. Distilled water – this is added only if the juice needs dilution.
Because of the lack of information regarding e liquid, e-cigarettes and vaping, there are many misconceptions about it. There are worries about the safety of the ingredients. The liquid nicotine added into the juice is pharmaceutical grade. While the flavor, propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin are all FDA-approved, considered food grade. This means that these are already being consumed as ingredient in foods.
In the past years, there has been an influx of negative and unfounded reports that e liquid is harmful. With further search, you will find that there are more and more researches and studies on the ejuice. Majority of the studies suggest that the liquid is not harmful.
Checking of the quality of the vaping liquid had improved a lot. Stricter quality control had been imposed by all the credible makers of the juice. Nowadays, there shouldn’t be any fear as to quality of the vaping liquid bought.
Generally, people consider the juice made in the US and UK as the best in terms of quality. Be informed that the other source of ejuice is China. Manufacturers of e-cigarettes who don’t make their own juice usually import the ejuice from China. So if you are picky, choose the e liquid maker that says their liquid is made in the US.
There are more topics that can be discussed regarding ejuice. In this article, only the basics have been tackled. If all points about e-cigarettes are talked about, people will understand vaping better.